Monday, November 9, 2009

JESOL INTERVIEW - STOLEN FROM ANOMIE1.COM -

I DIDNT PERSONALLY KNOW JESOL BUT THE DUDE WAS DEFINATELY AN OG WHEN IT CAME TO FR8S AND I DEFINATELY RESPECT THE DUDES GRAFFITI...ALWAYS LOOKED FORWARD TO SEEING HIS PANELS...CHECK THE INTERVIEW

http://anomie1.com/forum/index.php?topic=127.0

WWW.ANOMIE1.COM

BUY A MAG FROM THEM ALSO

jesol interview

How old were you when you started graffiti?

I started the summer I turned 15.

Why did you even start graffiti? Did somebody get you into it?

I liked the art in the magz and I just loved tagging everywhere. It was a Good feeling.

Who were some of your influences and inspirations when you first started? Did anyone teach or guide you as you were painting?

I didn't have any idea of what I was doing for the longest time. Later on the Good Times crew helped each other out.

Who did you paint with then?

Drone and I started together and have been busy ever since, besides that I can't really get into all the names.

What crews were running the scene in Sacramento back then?

I don't know if any "one" crew was running sac. Back then. I could care less.

Did you bomb before you started hitting up pieces? How long were you bombing before you started piecing?

Yeah, I would say for about a year in a half or two years bombing was my life. It was all I knew back then. I liked to do big stuff, but nothing was ever tight.

Did you have more fun back in the bombing days or now in the piecing days?

Well, bombing is always fun. I would like to do a lot more of that, but I'm having a Good Time now trying to come fresher.

Do you think that there is a certain amount of time someone should be a bomber before they start actually piecing?

You can bomb all you want and never learn the proper can control needed for painting.

How often do you go out and paint?

My goal is at least once a week, which is often hard to reach with the crazy life I'm living now.

What kind of music are you listening to these days?

DE LA SOUL, KRS ONE, ROOTS.....A little classic rock, jazz, or whatever my lady forces me to listen to.

Does hip-hop music have any effect on your graffiti?

I can't say I'd be painting graff without it, but I have been majorly influenced by it. Besides that I can't draw without listening to some beats.

Do your parents know you graffiti? What do they think about it?

Yes, they understand that I'm a very independent person and I'm going to do what I want with my art. They just want me to be careful and stay out of trouble.

Do you think that graffiti is just like any other art?

It's not just like any other art for mainly just because of the disrespect, but it is the art form I know.

Why do you write graffiti?

If I've spent all this time trying to be good at something I should stick with it. I love to piece, and I also love the recognition I get for my art.

What do you think about the crack down on graffiti writers? Do you think that graffiti should be legal?

I like it how it is. That way the suckers will be scared to paint.

Do you think that graffiti gets as much recognition as other elements of hip-hop? Do you think it should?

I've got friends that are MC's and DJ's. They have told me many times that they think that graff should be the respected element of HIP-HOP. I kinda like going to shows and people think you're just you're some guy who aint even down for HIP-HOP. They look at you like you're just another kid that just bobs his head for no reason. People better that I walk deeper than that. Nobody knows me.

What's your favorite thing to paint on?

I like the surface of a freight train! I've been painting on walls lately; I can put a little more thought in and try new things.

I've seen some of your freights, how many do you think you've done?

Somewhere around a hundred, maybe more, maybe less. I really don't care for numbers. If I go paint a train now, I'm going to make sure it was worth losing a nights sleep for.

Who are you painting with these days?

I try to hook up with most anybody with skills. A lot of times I just end up painting by myself. I'm trying to get the crew together on some walls.

What do you think of the graffiti scene in Sacramento right now?

Well, it has pretty much died down after a lot of people got caught. Graffiti will never totally die, because there is always the new jacks.

What is up with everything being on the battling tip? What do you think about battling and this everlasting tension between graffiti writers striving to be the best?

I really don't know what everyone is battling for. I think Sacramento is just a city known to have a lot of shit talkers.

How important is style to you? Technique, color distribution, characters, back-rounds?

For me, I'm in to nice colors and letters. I think as far as characters, they all look like something RASK would have done in 94-95. In Sac. I haven't seen any back-rounds yet!

Are there any tips that you can give to those graffiti writers trying to come up?

· Put some 4x8 sheets of plywood in your backyard and practice.(don't bring your bullshit to the yard)

· Quit trying to be the best on paper. Oh-yeah, nice characters Mr. No Letters.

· Don't be scared to try something new. Originality is a must.

· Don't go over something if you can't burn it. If your not sure you can burn it, take some time and learn.

· Get some skills, because if you haven't by now your probably still talking your shit.

· This list could turn into a novel in no time. So much love to those who made it possible for us today and remember to have a Good Time.

"Nobody's the best, so everyone in Sacramento needs to chill with that talk. We all need to paint more and sketch more. Every time I paint I learn something new and so should you. We all know this town has a whole lot of learning to do. This is Jesol saying good bye and Good Times! 1999" If anyone sees STEW tell him to call me.


HERES A COUPLE OF HIS I CAUGHT RECENTLY

08312009 202
..

..
08242009 506

No comments:

Post a Comment